The dusk-to-dawn anti-terror curfew in Mandera will be suspended during the month of Ramadhan. The month of Ramadhan is set to begin on Saturday, May 27.
The curfew was introduced eight months ago as a security measure against increased terror attacks. Leaders and residents’ call for review and end to the ban have been unsuccessful.
The curfew was imposed after an attack on non-Muslims in a Mandera lodge on October 27 last year.
The dusk-to-dawn curfew has been criticised by residents, who say it hurts their businesses and interferes with their right to pray.
Speaking during a Jubilee vote hunt in Mandera on Sunday, Deputy President William Ruto said, “The holy month of Ramadhan is important and we are going to ensure no curfew will not prevent you from participating in the prayers,” he said.
The county has more than one million people, according to the 2009 census. Most residents are Muslims. There have been successive extensions of the curfew by Interior CS Joseph Nkaissery. Areas under curfew are Mandera town, Omar Jillo, Arabia, Fino, Lafey Kotulo, Elwak and the environs.
Mandera Governor Ali Roba said they were worried Ramadhan would start as the curfew continued.
Mandera county commissioner Fredrick Shisia said the suspension will allow residents to take part in the Ramadhan prayers. It will be imposed and reviewed after Ramadhan.
Since 2014, more than 100 people have lost their lives in separate terror attacks targeting non-locals.
Source:- The Star